Friday, June 7, 2013

Farewell, Loma Linda

It has been one of those spontaneous weeks where treatment schedules were canceled due to something not working at the Proton Center.  We stayed close so whenever he was called, Bob could get down there immediately then wait...he is such a patient man.

He is only one treatment behind and will hopefully make it up tomorrow.  They are working on Saturday to catch everyone up.  He is still tired and has lost weight again.  We went shopping this afternoon for healthy snacks.  He needs to be reminded to eat!

I am driving back to Spokane, leaving tomorrow with the goal of getting to Redding, CA before I stop for the night.  This end time went very quickly.

Bob is regaining his health, we have met many interesting people, and eaten good vegetarian food.  I, also, am coming away from this journey with a very new experience.  The pictures you see below are the first I came across the day Bob had treatment #1.  I thought, oh, no, not another experience of being proselytized to, judged and questioned about my morals because I do not believe in god.  Well, I was wrong, very wrong.  My past experiences with groups of Christians have given me a jaded view of them.  Loma Linda has changed that.  It is a community that lives their beliefs, just as I think the Jesus I have read about would want them to.  They don't preach it , they teach it through example by the way they live and work.  I have not felt judged, looked down upon or preached to any time I shared that I am not Christian (and you know how much I like to share.)  They are very inclusive and caring.  As far as health, their belief is in treating the whole person. They believe in balance of the mind, body, and spirit.  I am impressed. We have many common beliefs. I could even be one of them if it wasn't for the "god" thing.

Lynn Martell, director of special services, does a fabulous job keeping the patients busy, informed and feeling cared about.  That organization is very fortunate to have him on staff.  I have asked him and a few of the people we have met, to keep an eye on Bob.  I know he will sleep more while I'm gone, he just might not eat more which he needs to do.  He has ten more treatments and will be home on June 22.

Good bye Loma Linda, I am grateful and inspired.


1 comment:

  1. Safe travels! Good luck to Carol and Nathan in the triathlon. Can't wait to hear that Bob's in remission and all will be well.

    <3

    ReplyDelete